How to File a Correction - Incorrect Payer Name and/or TIN

If a payer discovers an error in reporting the payer (not recipient) name and/or TIN, write a letter containing the following information.

1. Name and address of the payer.
2. Type of error (including the incorrect payer
name/TIN that was reported).
3. Tax year.
4. Payer TIN.
5. Transmitter Control Code (TCC).
6. Type of return.
7. Number of payees.
8. Filing method (paper or electronic).
9. Was federal income tax withheld?

Send the letter to:
Internal Revenue Service
Information Returns Branch
230 Murall Drive, Mail Stop 4360
Kearneysville, WV 25430

If a payer realizes duplicate reporting or a large percentage of incorrect information has been filed, contact the information reporting customer service site at 866-455-7438 for further instructions. 

Was this article helpful?
0 out of 0 found this helpful
Have more questions? Submit a request


Article is closed for comments.