How to File Corrections - Having Filed an Original on the Site

Step 1

Log in to your account.  Enter your email address and password and click the Log In button.


Step 2

If you are new to the site you will need to set up Payers & Recipients before being able to file any forms.  From this page you can select to create your payers and recipients either manually or by import.  To see full instructions on how to create payers & recipients click here.



Step 3

Navigate to the Filed Forms page and search out your original form using the filters - look for the specific form you need to file a correction on.

Remember – even if you filed an original for all form types that we offer on the site, the only Correction Forms we offer on the site are: 1099-MISC Correction, 1099-DIV Correction, 1099-INT Correction, 1099-S Correction, 1098 Correction and W-2C Correction.

*You will also need to make sure the form you need to file a correction for has already been e-filed and accepted, you will not be able to file a correction on an original form until it has been e-filed and accepted by the IRS.  You will be able to see the status of your forms by looking at the Correct Errors column in the grid on the Filed Forms page – if your form is in the process of being e-filed and has not yet been accepted the value that will show in the Correct Errors column is “Temporarily Unavailable”.  This means you will need to wait until your form gets accepted by the IRS to file a correction.



Step 4

Locate the form in the grid you need to file a correction for and in the Correct Errors column click the File a Correction link.

Forms that we do not offer corrections for will have a “Not Supported” value in the Correct Errors column once they have been e-filed and accepted by the IRS.



This will prompt a question “Would you like to file a correction for and re-deliver to the recipient for $7.95?”.

If you click Yes, you will be brought to a page where your original form appears with all the original data you input, however it will be a Corrected form with the Corrected box at the top (with a check in the box) and the form name will reference the Correction  (i.e. 1099-MISC Correction).

And on the Filed Forms page your original form will now have a value of Correction In Progress on the Correct Errors Column in the grid.



If you click No, the action will be canceled, the pop-up will disappear and you will remain on the Filed Forms page.


Step 5

If you clicked 'Yes' in the pop-up message, your original form will be brought up.  You will not be able to make any changes to the specific Payer or Recipient, but will be able to change any amounts you originally filed.

Once you make your changes you can then click 'Save' to place your correction form in Forms In Progress.


While on the correction form page if you decide you do not need to file a correction form you can click 'Cancel' and that will prompt a question “Are you sure you want to discard changes?”.

If you click Ok, it will discard your action to file a correction form, navigate you back to the Filed Forms page.

If you click Cancel, it will cancel your action to cancel the correction, the pop-up will disappear and you will remain on your now Correction form page where you can make the corrections needed.


Step 6

Once you have completed filling out your correction form(s) you will need to complete the purchasing process by adding your forms to your Cart.

Choose the form you want to purchase by selecting the box next to the form in the Select All Column on the grid, then select your filing option and then click Add to Cart.

This will place your form in your cart, where you will now see the filing fee of $7.95 for the correction form, and you can proceed to checkout to submit and file your correction form.


Step 7

Once you have completed the checkout process, you will be navigated to the Filed Forms page where you will see your Correction Form filed underneath your Original Form. 

The Original Form will have the text “Correction Filed” in the Correct Errors column and your Correction Form will follow the same process as any other form, allowing you to “Edit Data” until it has been e-filed, then allowing you to “File a Correction” once it has been accepted by the IRS.


Was this article helpful?
0 out of 0 found this helpful
Have more questions? Submit a request


Article is closed for comments.